Saturday 15 August 2009

Tumpek Landep...a day of celebrating the metal in our lives

Saturday 15th August 2009


today in Bali it is Tumpek Landep, which is a balinese ceremony that honours metal objects. i figured therefore, it was the perfect opportunity to bless the most important metal object in my life - my motorbike.

Desak, my wonderful balinese friend ordered offerings for me and came today to help in the ceremony. she started off by getting all the offerings ready and placing everything in its' rightful place. we then proceeded out to the motorbike (otherwise known as Fifi) and laid a cloth over the top of her. the offerings were put on top, incense was lit and the ceremony began. the ceremony itself is a nice simple one. Desak began by rubbing some powder on Fifi, then she tied lots of beautiful decorations on the handlebars and on the front of the bike. then we sprinkled her with holy water. we finished up by praying beside the bike to ask for protection and to keep out of danger.

it was a lovely little celebration to show thanks for the things that are so important in our lives like our vehicles and i truly love the way the balinese remember to honour them.

Huge thanks to Desak for making this a day for me to remember...

4 comments:

Miss Footloose said...

How can you not love a place where they celebrate the metal in their lives? I loved your photo. I posted a link to your page to my Facebook page. My Facebook is only a project in process, but I thought my "friends" would enjoy your story.

Cheers,

Miss Footloose
www.lifeintheexpatlane.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

hi miss footloose, thank you for the link...that's very kind of you. i hope your friends do enjoy the story...i think it's a wonderful thing to celebrate too and was happy i could bless my precious motorbike for the year ahead...

Jeni said...

How interesting! Who would have thought - metal?! Hehe- cool!

Anonymous said...

All About Bali Tourism Information, including interest place, Bali Sacred Temple, Bali Tourism Area, Hotels Review and other.Visit www.bali-deals.com for more information.