Monday 18 August 2008

the doorway to...

Monday 18th August 2008

the quality of craftsmanship here in Bali is truly amazing. i mean from the tiny trinkets on sale in the art markets to this - the doorway to what appeared to be a home. i mean how incredible is it! i can't say that i personally would want the doorway to my home to look like this...but as a piece of art it is truly astounding. the wooden carved doorway with the metal doors inset. you cannot help but stop and stare as you pass by. it might feel a little like the doorway to the depths of the darkest nightmares - especially with that demonic-type character overseeing all those who pass through. but to think that someone carved all that from wood...well like i said, the craftsmanship in Bali never fails to disappoint. wherever you go you have to remember to keep your eyes open at all times to catch those amazing creations all around you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Balinese architecture is just gorgeous. Some places are truly breathtaking!

Unknown said...

Sinead! You make me envying you. We should have been in Bali by now hehehe... enjoy your stay!

Unknown said...

hi lorraine, yes! the time and care taken on the architecture is just amazing!

hey arfi - Bali is the place to be!

Faery said...

Yes an amazing work of art but would never pass through that doorway...I feel chills.
Ha ha ha Sinead I have three little gifts for you in my blog, please come see.I was thinking about you the other day, girl you are so brave

Anonymous said...

this is awesome...i wanted to ship a headboard back - but figured that the shipping woulda cost me a fortune! I have my hand carved Balinese mask over my stove!!!

Unknown said...

hi faery, it kinda gave me the chills too. i definitely wouldn't want it for my house!

hi jodycakes, i know the feeling, rather than trying to pack up Bali and fit it in my bag, i figured i'd just live here instead!